Finnabair's Store7 Dots StudioFlickrPinterestFacebookTwitterBlog

2016-02-19

Creative Gym # 17 - Coffee

This month creative gym is about coffee :) Most of us drink it, but because we are all very creative souls, many of us use coffee also as a kind of medium :) Take a look at all the wonderful inspiration delivered by our amazing team!


You can create any type of project from mixed media pieces like cards and tags, to altered art, assemblage, journals and more. You have a complete freedom... be sure to include 
~~ Coffee ~~
in your art.



Here is inspiration delivered by our fabulous team:



Coffee Time

Do you love coffee as much as I do? I am addicted do its smell, taste and colour. My day begins with a cup of coffee and I love to drink it during my creative process.


Today challenge is about my very favorite drink - the theme is Coffee Time. Please use coffee to create your project and please do not be afraid to work with different shades and sorts of coffee, for example with a hint of cinnamon, cocoa or tea. The shades will be lighter when you add some water. You can dye fabrics with coffee, add some colour to media, use coffee beans, ground coffee and also different items connected to coffee for example jute bags, different sorts of images cut out from the packages, images of mugs, cups, used coffee capsules - I leave it up to you.




For my project I used coffee here and there, coffee with gesso and Ecolines here and there - I like to merge coffee with watercolours. Whole background is painted with instant coffee. The circles comes from my cup.




I hope you will have great time and I can't wait to see your wonderful projects!

Mixed Media Place supplies:





I hope my project qualifies as it’s about tea not coffee! I don’t drink coffee at all – I tried it in polytechnic but I never got the hang of it. It smells really nice, but I don’t like the taste. So I took the liberty to change the “coffee” part into “tea”. Now there’s a drink that I love!




I’m taking this year long workshop called “Wanderlust” and one of the first videos was from Kate Crane and showed an accordion styled album. Inspired by the form I created this, a mini mini album all dedicated to tea!




The covers are made from patterned paper but the inside is watercolor paper. And what would be a tea mini without tea? The stains and markings inside are made with Distress Ink but also with tea!



Materials:

Prima: Coffee Rings stamp
Archival Ink – Jet Black
Sharpie – White
Pencil (1 pcs)
Distress Ink Pad – Vintage Photo




Do you know that you can make stunning tags with just coffee? All you need is tags, instant coffee and some water. Place the tags in the “coffeebath” and let them lay there for a couple of hours. Let them dry and voila, tags with coffee. They smell like coffee and get some gorgeous backgrounds.







Here is a giftbag made for a friend (guy) just turned 40. I used two of my coffee-stained tags on the paper giftbag. (inside there is two tickets to a concert and a chocolate).





I have used lots of metal and findings in additon to Finnabair’s mechanicals. All is treated with gel medium and mica powder.



Also used the same mix with stencils.

Mixed Media Place products used:




“Coffee Time”, a theme very close to my heart. I love every thing about coffee….the colour, the smell, the taste, the way it makes me feel, the culture and especially the closeness of sharing coffee and a catch up with friends. I have made a tag and used “actual coffee” to stain the doily. The No. 3 is significant……..I can’t do more than 3 a day, much as I would like to. I have used Finnabair’s Micro Beads and two little hearts from her new Mechanicals range.








Hello Sweeties,
 I'm still working on my Family Journal and these photo of my great-grand-father on my maternal side was perfect for this challenge. As he was an engineer in the steel industry, I wanted to use some Mechanicals on my page. The coffee color was a perfect match with the rust as I want to make a monochromatic page. 









I started to glue some book pages to the background with the Soft Matte Gel. Then I added some White Crackle Paste almost everywhere, I was just careful to leave the book pages visible and let dry. Then I colored the whole page with coffee (I used instant coffee) which I fixed with a fixative. I added some random stamping with a Dirty Wall stamp and Coffee Archival Ink, to add more texture. I've mixed some coffee grounds with 3D Gloss Gel and used the paste to add a design with the Cobblestone stencil. While the design was drying, I added some coffee stains to the photo with a stamp and dyed a piece of fabric with coffee too. I finished the page with Glass Glitter, Micro Beads and coffee grounds.



* * *

From this month we will have one change - we will not announce winners in challenge blog post, but we will have separate blog post to give our winner and features more attention :) We hope you will like this change :)

* * *


Join our new challenge! We love to see your beautiful creations!
You have time to play with us until March 19th. 
Simply add a link to your work using the inlinkz tool below. 
Our Design Team will choose their favorite piece and its author will win a discount coupon to be used in our Mixed Media Place Store

Have a great day!


8 comments:

  1. Hot coffee, cold coffe, latte, frape, caramel macchiato, and so many more! Yes please to coffee! I am so excited to try this out. Awesome sauce!!! Thanks for the inspo from the talented DT! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! This is a challenge where it wont matter if we accidentally put the paint brush in the coffee cup instead of the water cup (again) :D Awesome challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies - all of your projects are so very gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous inspiration! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the amazing mixed media coffee themed inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your inspirational works.
    I think I must be a little 'alien'. Everyone loves coffee, I'm a tea lover, for me the smell of coffee turns my stomach!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: leaving a comment on this website means you agree for us to store and process your data (such as user ID) for communication, education and marketing purposes. More information on our Privacy Policy is listed on the blog.